
A follow-up letter after having an interview should be thought of as more than just a thank-you letter. It is another opportunity to sell yourself. It is important to thank the interviewer for the time that they spent with you. But you also need to reiterate your interest in the job.
The follow-up letter is also good time to let them know that you feel your skills and experience will make you a good fit for the position that you interviewed for. If thought about something that you should have said during the interview but forgot, you can include it in the letter.
Do NOT make the follow-up letter too long.
The general format of the letter should be;
· Address the letter to the person that interviewed you (if more than one person, send a separate letter to each).
· State your appreciation
· Express your interest in the position that you were interviewed for
· Briefly state why you would be a good fit for the position
· Provide any pertinent information that you forgot during the interview.
· Let them know you are looking forward to hearing from them soon
· Thanks them again
Sample Letter:
April 11, 2008
Mr. Charlie Horse
Domain Accessories Inc.
110 New Way Ave
Broken Bow, MN 50021
To Mr. Charlie Horse
I'd like to thank you for the time you spent talking with me about the Web Developer position at Domain Accessories Inc. I am very excited about this position and convinced that my Web Development skills and experience would make me a strong member of your team.
I realized after the interview that I did not mention that I actually started in the Information Technology field by doing JAVA programming before switching over to the .Net technologies.
If you need any further information, please feel free to contact me.
Again thank you for taking the time to meet with me. I will be looking forward to hearing from you.
Tony Allthere
222.555.1211 home
222.553.2211 cell
Do I have to send a Follow-up Letter?
No, but it may make the difference in you getting the position. If you and another candidate are both under consideration for the position and you send the letter and the other candidate does not, the letter may be the thing that sways the employer in your direction.
Should I send the letter US Mail or Email?
I know that some seasoned staffing people still feel that a handwritten letter is more impressive and shows more thought and that is okay. I personally believe that an email is quicker and more efficient. It will get there quickly, it will not get lost in the company mail. I especially feel that if the position is in the Technology area that an email is more in effective.
No comments:
Post a Comment