Monday, April 28, 2008

Your Cover Letter

The cover letter is probably the least thought out aspect of people looking for a job BUT it really is one of the most important parts of getting the interview that will lead to a job.

The cover letter tells the employer things about you that a resume can not. The resume is a brief summary of your skills and experience while your cover letter should reflect your personality and your written communication skills. The cover letter is a brief overview of why you are interested in the company and position that you are sending the resume to. This often means a little bit of research about the company. This will show the company that you have spent some time and are interested in them and what they do. Let them know why you would be a good fit for the company and the position.

Yes, you may have a template for your cover letters but you should really send a different cover letter for each position you are applying for.

The cover letter should also talk about what you are looking for, where you are looking geographically; it may include your salary history and salary expectations.

The cover letter should be written in a paragraph format. It should be in a formal conversational tone. The first paragraph should tell how you found out about the position and your general qualifications for the job.

The next paragraph(s) should give more details about your qualifications. Remember, you are sending this with your resume so it is not necessary to write every detail. You can point to the resume for specific details.

The final paragraph should request an interview (or some other response, as appropriate). You should also include your availability to do a phone or face to face interview. Let them know the best phone number to reach you at during the day and the evening. Let them know that they can also contact you if they need more information. The close by thanking them for their time and let them know that you will be waiting to hear from them.

Example:

Dear HR Director:

I saw your job posting on Monster.com for software engineers in the Broken Arrow, OK. I am very interested in both software design and development.

I have worked with .Net technology in developing real-time web systems and I also have substantial experience in the design of multi-tiered customer application systems. With my skills and experience, I believe that I can make an immediate contribution to Broken Arrow Online Travel.

I have enclosed a copy of my resume, which details my qualifications. I would like the opportunity to meet with you to discuss your open positions for software engineers. If you wish to arrange an interview, I can be reached at 515. 255-9999 during the day or at my home phone number of 515.555.8888 during the evenings. I am available for a phone interview with 1 days notice and a face to face interview with 2 days notice.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Anthony Smithe

================================

Remember, you have one chance at making a first impression, your cover letter needs to give them a good first impression.

No comments: